Saturday, June 11, 2011

Falling in Love with the Mind of a Gay Dead Man

In middle and high school I was forced to read books that were written a million years ago, and though they were written in English, I could not understand what the heck I was reading.  It was like trying to read a book in a foreign language.  As I've gotten older, my brain has really matured and I've come to love and appreciate books like Dorian Gray and Pride and Prejudice.  I can actually understand their historic tongue now. Yay!





Anyway, as I've started to return to these types of books, I've discovered how freaking awesome Oscar Wilde was.  He left the world with a plethora of fantastic thoughts.  I think I love him.  Here is the smallest sampling of my favorite quotes:


"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." 
 Oscar Wilde

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." 
 Oscar Wilde

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." 
 Oscar Wilde

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all." 
 Oscar Wilde

"I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there." 
 Oscar Wilde

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his." 
 Oscar Wilde

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." 
 Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan as well--I even sell a set of plates with his quotes. My favorite: "The world was my oyster, but I used the wrong fork."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...